In my previous post I talked a little bit about my goals…for getting healthy and focusing on God and my marriage. I need to make that more concrete and to make a plan…so here goes.
1. God. Goal: to get closer to Him and know Him better by seeking who He is, not what He can do for me.
How to: 1. Spend time every morning reading or listening to the Bible and praying. Specifically thanking Him for His characteristics and for His presence.
2. Pausing throughout the day to thank Him for being there and loving me. Also pausing when thoughts of having a baby and anything that goes with the process come to mind and laying them down and asking for His help to trust Him in that area of my life.
3. Read “Honest to God”
2. My marriage. Goal: to have fun in my marriage and make sure hubby knows I love him and respect him.
How to: 1. be intentional about having at least one nice date night per month and AT LEAST 1 other one on one activity that same month. Date night would be something out of the ordinary: a concert, museum, zoo, amusement park, movie in theater, picnic, dinner out, etc. Other activity would be game night at home, walking, movie at home, cooking together, etc.
2. Be sure to text him every morning when I wake up because he seems to feel neglected when I don’t. (He works night shift)
3. Take $10-$20 of my personal spending money (I get $100 a month) each month and buy something for him- t-shirts, healthy snacks, good coffee, an extra date night, random things he says he needs or wants.
4. Don’t mention ovulation unless he asks even if I know that I may be ovulating…we don’t need that kind of pressure in our marriage…and if I feel tempted, see the God goal about trusting God with this area of our lives.
3. My health. Goal: get as healthy as possible…this has sub-goals…
Sub goal 1. Exercise 6 days a week.
How to: 1. Couch to 5k Monday, Wednesday, Friday before work.
2. Yoga Tuesday and Thursday before work.
3. Strength training Monday and Wednesday on my lunch break or at home while watching tv. Do 10 minutes on bike or walking to warm up and then do arms and legs combo exercises for 20 minutes.
4. Jillian on saturdays. Either 30 day shred or power sculpt.
5. Rest on sundays.
6. Walk whenever opportunity presents itself…at work with the kids or at home with larry. This usually will naturally result in at least 2-4 walks a week.
Sub goal 2. Eat as clean and healthy as I can.
How to: 1. Stay out of the snack closet at work. Come prepared with healthy snacks and a healthy, filling lunch for the day. Every day. Find what works snd stick to it.
2. No more caffiene. This one should be easy since I had cut it already when I was pregnant…this means no starbucks…period.
3. Cut sweets except for planned events or date nights. Remember: I can not have just a little and not want more. I am an all or nothing kind of girl. I have to detox and move on. And when the picnics and dates happen, choose one thing and then gather the strength not to give in to temptations from then on.
4. When tempted by the snack closet or other sweets, read labels. It is almost a guaruntee that I will find ingredients that I dont bring into my house.
5. When tempted, change the self talk from “I deserve this cookie…” to “be good to yourself…that cookie is not a way to be good to yourself. Choose to treat yourself right”.
Subgoal 3. Stress. Goal: find ways to release stress and to relax daily.
How to: 1. All of the above goals will help…so keep them going.
2. When the weather is nice, sit out on the deck for a while after work and just relax.
3. Sit in quiet for at least 20 minutes a day. Leave the tv off, no music, no facebook. Use that time to blog, think, read, or just sit.
4. Call a friend once a week.
5. Once a week, be by myself for an hour to do something refreshing. This could mean going for a walk alone, sitting outside alone, painting my toenails, going for a drive, watching a funny movie…anything I enjoy doing. This is beyond the exercise time. It has to be something that is relaxing, not heartracing (like running lol).
That about sums it up. A lot of this is stuff I am already doing but want to keep up. Other stuff is new or being resurrected into my life. The best way to sum up these goals is to say that I want to become healthier in all aspects of my life so that I can be a better wife, future mother (God willing), friend, daughter, overall person.